lunes, 24 de enero de 2011

Mexico trip 2010 Overall

It’s almost one month now since I left Mexico, anyway, there’s not any day I don’t think about that country and the people I met. This have been one of the best experiences I’ve ever had, my trip has had ups and downs, with lots of serious injuries that kept me away from kayak for a while, and changed my initial plan (Mexico – Costa Rica), so I had another point of view in this trip, enjoying more the place, the food, the scenery and the people , who is incredible.
Cobra in the Bukaki slide.
Mexico is the fifteen biggest country of the World, with a surface near to 2 millions of km2. In 2010 Mexican population was around 112 millions of persons.

Big city life! Mexico DF the biggest city
I've ever seen with 27 millons of persons!!

Best dates: Season starts in October and goes to February, as the season keep going the rivers lose lots of water. Best months, October y November.I flew with aeroméxico  company, only the go 700 euros!!! As good thing they only made me pay 44 euros for a heavy kayak over 60 kg. the plane back home was way cheaper and I it cost me 430 dollars, cool! But the whole ticket was so expensive, next time I have to do it better!

Beautiful Mexico!
MAIN KAYAK IN MEXICO
Cd. Valles, San Luis Potosí: Beautiful scenery and crystal water rivers, “saltos de micos” is the perfect place for everyone who wants to run a drop for the 1st time. It becomes more sketchy as north you go, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Nuevo León… keep your eyes open out there!

Tlapacoyan, Veracruz: Little town and the Mexican gem of white water. Waterfalls and slides are all around the are. This is my favourite place of Mexico and where I paddled some of the hardest and biggest waterfalls ever.

Kayakers owning the streets of Tlapayork!
Jalcomulco: A really big part of the rafting  companies are based on the rio Pescados and Antigua. Good place to visit as well.

Chiapas: Is far from everything but some of the best rivers are hidden in this area. Sto. Domingo is the most pendent river ever kayaked. Give work to the local people as driver, or staying in a place,.. makes everything easier with the zapatistas, things have to be done carefully!

Le Pek team in the best aguardiente factory of the area! 
INJURIES:
2x visits to the hospital
1st place: Eric Deguil (FRA), broke his back on tomata I at low low water… 15 ambulances, 3 planes and 6 hospitals before to arrive back home…
2nd place: Aniol Serrasolses (SPA), broken ribs + noise + and a big haematoma in the pelvis, it have been 2 months now without do anything! I’m doing recuperation for the ribs and hope to paddle soon!

Cobrita getting drunk to calm the pain... 
BEST CARNAGE / CRAZY LINES
Cobra: 4th run tomata I (broken ribs)
Evan Garcia: Tomata II (broken kneee) –
Todd Wells: Mandatory Falls, (knock himself alter a big impact on his head)
Rafa Ortiz: Tomata II ( no injuries for Don. Sánchez)

Cobra going for the line of his life, broken ribs!!
BEST RAPIDS RUNNED
Tomata II
Texolo falls
Big Banana falls
Silence rapid

Rush Sturges cleaning tomata II with absolute steeze.
photo by lucas gilman
NATHALIES
Cobra (1x silencio drop, 1x Tomata I, broken rib)… 2
Iker y Rafa (Topo duo Big banana section)… 2
Gael Caride (2x silence drop, 2x tomata, 1x micos)… 5 
EG (1x tomata II, 1x Jalacingo)… 2
Thomas ( 2x big banana section, hombro dislocado)… 2

Bootie day!!!
The number, the quality and the variety of rivers in Mexico, makes of this country a true creeking paradise. If you go to Mexico get ready for a incredible experience in the jungles with lots of waterfalls to run and high quality sections!

Cobra contemplating an ugly rapid that we
all run in the rio Jalacingo. 
Rivers I couldn’t run, to be done next year
Río Verde
Río Santa María
Lower Jalacingo
Sto. Domingo
Río Agua Azul
Sección del Ahuacate

Enjoying the rio Jalacingo, one of Veracruz gems.
1st Descents, NEXT TRIPS
Encanto falls
Eyipantla falls
Jentaxki falls
Encanto falls, how tall is this thing?
BEST OF:
Best Waterfall: Big Banana (128.6 feet)
Best Rapid: Tomata II / Meatlocker
Best boof: Silencio drop
Best lines: Big Banana & Texolo waterfall
Favourite river: Alsesseca
Best day of kayaking: 1st full banana section / tomata’s day
Favourite beer: Modelo
Best place to eat: Comida corrida, everywhere!
Party: Jalapa and Halloween in Mex DF
Best food: fish and meat tacos
Place to stay: Tlapacoyan, aventurec!

The crew enjoying Vel-Vic tacos, the classic spot in Tlapacoyan. 
THANKS TO:
I have to thank a lot of people after this trip, because without your help nothing in my trip could have been possible.
Family Ortiz and Beristain, and all Mexico DF crew, thanks for all the help given during all my trip you guys are awesome, go kayak with you it’s always laughs and fun.
estas ratas!! que buena onda son!
To Rush Sturges, thank you for gave me your boat and everything else you did for me!
Antonio Reinoso de Aventurec por toda la ayuda prestada en mi vuelta a Tlapacoyan, y durante el accidente de Eric en el hospital.
Gael, Nina y Netta for all this good moments in Aventurec.
And thanks to all the other people with who I had the pleasure of kayak, or shared good moments, beers and wine.

Rats enjoying their meal!
Viva Mexico! The new creekboating paradise!

Useful web pages:
Do you want to learn kayak in Mexico? Contact with the best
professionals:

Red Bull Athlete Web Page:
Working for Aventurec rafting company
and paying my stay in Mex.
Searching for a place tos tay in Tlapacoyan? Aventurec is the place!

Two weeks more of recuperation and hopefully I will start kayak again, really motivated with the upcoming season wich can be the best ever If everything goes right!!! Keep checking the blog, next update, creek expedition in Portugal, let's see what we find!

                                                              SPANISH VERSION

PHOTOS by my friend Joel Kowalski .

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Irradias pasión, que bonito!